BACK to County Down
On the hill above the villages of Saul and Raholp stands a large statue of Saint Patrick, overlooking the place where he landed on his return to Ireland, the site of his first church, Downpatrick and the Mourne Mountains. It was erected in 1932 to commemorate the 1500th anniversary of Patrick's return as bishop to convert the Irish to christianity. Annually, on the first Sunday of June, there is a pilgrimage to an open air mass. On the way to the summit, pilgrims pass the 14 Stations of the Cross.